Fighting Burglary and Robbery Charges
Chicago Theft Defense Attorney
Burglary and robbery are theft crimes that can carry severe and harsh penalties for those that wind up being convicted. Depending on the severity of the circumstances, you could face any of these adverse consequences:
- Significant time to be served in jail or prison
- Substantially large fines and fees
- Community service
- Negative impact on your legal record, which can lead to great difficulty with finding and maintaining a job, as well as limiting your housing options, as most employers and rental agencies and associations conduct background checks on applicants
If you or someone you know has been arrested, or you know that charges are imminent for burglary or robbery, it is vitally important that you speak with a knowledgeable attorney from the firm about the details of your situation without delay. Cases of this nature move swiftly through the judicial system and you will need to begin preparing your defense and determining your plea immediately.
What's the Difference Between Burglary and Robbery?
Burglary and robbery can be thought of as one and the same, to many people, but the fact is that they are different and will be prosecuted and sentenced differently.
Here are the basic definitions of both:
- Burglary - Also known as breaking and entering, or remaining within a structure without the consent of the owner, with the intent to commit a felony or theft crime. The state bears the burden of having to prove that there was intent to steal something or commit another felony crime.
- Robbery - Taking another individual's personal property, using force or threatening force against them or someone else that the victim knows. This can become aggravated robbery when the use of a firearm or other dangerous weapon is used, or the victim is made to believe there is a deadly weapon involved.
These types of cases can be complex, but The Toney Law Firm, LLC is intimately familiar with the laws, regulations and procedures that are related to burglary and robbery criminal defense cases and has a proven ability to fight and win for clients. These are serious charges that must be combated with a relentless defensive strategy. Your attorney will zealously advocate your best interests and protect your legal rights throughout the course of your case. The firm is dedicated to providing clients with the highest level of representation in all types of criminal legal matters and will fight to protect your future freedom, livelihood, legal record and reputation.
Highly recommend her, she was really great to work with!- Andrea
She knows her way around court.- Former Client
If you have her on your side you're good to go!- Michael
Sarah is a really intelligent and great lawyer to work with.- Former Client
She's a well rounded, smart and impressive attorney!- Marv